– Fremont Street– the tiny, old part of Las Vegas that is technically the only part of the city where Mayor Oscar Goodman has jurisdiction. It’s seedy and makes you feel like an outlaw. The Fremont experience was the city’s first step in sprucing up the Las Vegas downtown.
- SlotZilla- A 12 story, 77 foot high, Zip Line that goes right through the heart of the Fremont Street Experience. Flyers land halfway down the Fremont Street Experience pedestrian promenade, between the Four Queens and Fremont casinos. The multi-million dollar SlotZilla is the world’s largest slot machine, and features Las Vegas icons such as over-sized dice, a martini glass, a pink flamingo, coins, video reels, a giant arm and two showgirls. The 37-foot-tall showgirls adorning SlotZilla, one on each side, were inspired by two real-life models, the women who dressed as showgirls to accompany former Las Vegas mayor Oscar Goodman to his many public appearances.
- Viva Vision- The free Viva Vision light shows at Fremont Street Experience are a must-see in Las Vegas. The Viva Vision video screen is 1,500 feet long, 90 feet wide and suspended 90 feet above Fremont Street’s renowned pedestrian mall, lined by some of the world’s most iconic hotels and casinos. Viva Vision shows last about six minutes, and run every hour, beginning at dusk (between 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m., based upon the season). Shows typically end at midnight (in the summer, shows run until 1:00 a.m.).Light shows currently include Heart, The Who, The Doors, Bon Jovi and others.
- Fremont Street is also home to some of our favorite bars in Vegas:
Park on Fremont – One of the only “beer gardens” downtown, Park has a creative selection of beers, shots, and bloody marys. A different vibe, each wall is uniquely designed with artwork and trinkets, don’t forget to check out the see-saw in the back!
Insert Coin(s) – a video-game lounge/nightclub that is home to 60 vintage restored arcade games and plenty of TVs with the newest gaming systems. From Mario Kart and Tekken to Madden and Call of Duty, get your gaming fix here.
The Griffin – Its great ambiance, low lighting and comfy booths give this place an old Vegas feel without having to try too hard.
Hogs & Heifers Saloon – With music blaring, scantily clad bartenders, dancing on the bar, and cheap drinks flowing, this joint practically defines “dive bar”.
Commonwealth – A Boston style bar with three bars—a main long bar on the main level; a rooftop garden bar; and a Prohibition-era speakeasy style private room, accessible only to guests with a reservation. ***The Laundry Room at Commonwealth is a hidden gem that usually requires reservations.***
Mob Bar – Located across from the Mob Museum and inside the Downtown Grand, Mob Bar is one of Downtown’s most sophisticated bars and will remind visitors of America’s romantic era – the roaring twenties.
- Other Downtown Options:
Container Park – Downtown’s newest adventure features large shipping containers arranged and stacked to create an outdoor entertainment park with an ever-changing assortment of retail, restaurants, bars and entertainment. Oh… and a giant grasshopper that shoots flames. No big deal.
Atomic Liquor – A legendary Las Vegas bar featuring the oldest liquor license in the city. Recently remodeled, they were recently visited by Travel Channel star Anthony Bourdain who gave it his seal of approval.
- Advice from the locals – Get any drink you want in a local favorite – Football cups! The Sexy Sax Man is a staple on Fremont but the real fun is the hours of people watching, Mardi-gras bead finding, drinking debauchery. The casinos also have lower minimums, a good place to find $5-$10 black jack and craps.
As you can see there are plenty of options downtown and there are many more bars and restaurants in the works. Fremont is in the end stages of a multi-million dollar renovation, its worth a few hours of your time. So on that night you are not sure what to do or when you are not up for the big nightclubs and getting all dressed up, make a trip down to Fremont Street and check out what Downtown Vegas has to offer!